STAAR or the State of Texas Assessment of Academic Readiness is required in all Texas public schools. It starts in 3rd grade and is given annually until the student successfully passes all STAAR tests required for graduation. It is a standardized test that measures mastery of curriculum (the TEKS or Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills) at each grade level. Most schools offer preparation during the school day for these tests, but adding the one-on-one help of a tutor can give your child even more confidence in the test-taking situation and combat what many students struggle with – TEST ANXIETY!
Subjects are tested in the following grade levels:
- reading and mathematics, grades 3–8
- writing at grades 4 and 7
- science at grades 5 and 8
- social studies at grade 8
- end-of-course (EOC) assessments for English I, English II, Algebra I, biology and U.S history.
- English III and Algebra II (optional)
A tutor can download a released test from the previous year from the TEA website to use as a guide for preparation.
For more information on the specifics of STAAR, go to: